AACR CEO Margaret Foti, PhD, MD (hc): Thank you for a spectacular and impactful AACR Annual Meeting 2023
The AACR Annual Meeting is where the cancer research community gathers to explore and expand the frontiers of discovery science and deliver the next breakthroughs in cancer care. We are truly grateful to everyone — including the program committee, invited speakers, proffered paper presenters, and attendees — who made the AACR Annual Meeting 2023 a spectacular success. It is your dedication to cancer research that helps make this meeting so productive and meaningful.
Here are some key numbers showcasing the impact of the 2023 edition of the most important cancer meeting in the world:
- Global Participation. More than 21,700 registrants (including more than 20,000 in-person registrants) from 87 countries and territories participated in the meeting.
- High-Impact Clinical Trials. A total of 243 clinical trials were presented; this largest-ever clinical program featured 16 Phase III trials, including several practice-changing studies.
- Simultaneous Journal Publication. AACR journals provided a forum for the rapid publication of cutting-edge science, publishing a total of 37 papers simultaneously with their presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- Diverse Slate of Presenters. The 630 invited speakers from 25 countries that were featured on the program included strong representation from women (49 percent), minorities (35 percent), and early-career scientists (9 percent).
- Future of the Cancer Workforce. The early-career scientists on the program included 14 NextGen Stars, who were selected through a competitive application process and assigned a podium presentation in a major scientific session.
- Worldwide News Coverage. More than 220 members of the media covered the Annual Meeting, which generated more than 4,700 media clips — including online and television stories on NBC News, CBS Evening News, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Reuters, and Politico.
- Robust Social Media Engagement. Nearly 8,000 people joined the Annual Meeting conversation on Twitter, sharing more than 30,000 tweets using the #AACR23 hashtag and generating more than 388 million impressions (a record high).
- Virtual Meeting. The meeting featured nearly 300 live-streamed scientific sessions (including plenary sessions, major symposia, advances sessions, forums, educational sessions, methods workshops, proffered paper sessions, and other special sessions).
Thank you for attending the AACR Annual Meeting 2023 and we look forward to seeing you April 5-10 in beautiful San Diego, California, for the AACR Annual Meeting 2024!
#AACR23 Top Headlines
Here are some of the most popular articles from the AACR Annual Meeting 2023. Highlights of the meeting — including recaps of critical sessions from the AACR Blog and Cancer Today Magazine — are also available on the AACR website.
- Annual Meeting highlights showcased in final plenary session
- Promising study results reported in first clinical trials plenary
- Opening Plenary Session showcases important breakthroughs across the spectrum of cancer research
- NCI Director discusses Cancer Moonshot initiative and new National Cancer Plan
- Researchers discuss efforts to speed drug approval process by rethinking phase I trials
- International physician-scientists address global cancer burden
- Research advances in childhood cancers are leading to novel therapeutic approaches
- Senescence appears to drive tumor progression, recurrence
Session recordings remain available to registered meeting participants for on-demand viewing through Wednesday, July 19. Virtual meeting registration is still an option and includes access to recorded sessions, CME/MOC credits, and more.
Claim Your CME/MOC Credits for the Annual MeetinG
Access to the AACR Annual Meeting 2023 virtual meeting platform and all on-demand sessions is available through July 19, 2023. To claim CME/MOC credits for qualified sessions, visit the AACR Continuing Medication Education page. Questions? Contact the AACR Office of CME at (215) 440-9300 or via e-mail at [email protected]